Regulations in the Glaskogen Nature Reserve
We all have a common responsibility to preserve nature in its existing state. Therefore, there are rules that must be followed when staying in the nature reserve. In addition to Glaskogen’s reserve regulations, the possibilities and obligations of the right of public access must also be taken into account. However, the reserve regulations always apply before the right of public access!
The Off-Road Driving Act applies in all situations. It is not allowed to drive in terrain with all kinds of motor vehicles such as caravans and motorhomes. Virtually all natural land is terrain within the meaning of the law. In addition to “forest and land”, beaches, pastures, parkland and lawns are also considered terrain.
And always remember: leave no trace!
Regulations for the Glaskogen nature reserve
In the reserve it is forbidden to
– to set up a caravan, motorhome or similar (for camping) other than in specially prepared and designated places
– release a dog or other pet,
– bring pets to the beach,
– damage the vegetation e.g. by breaking twigs, felling or otherwise damaging living or dead trees and shrubs,
– dig up or pick plants,
– destroy or damage solid natural objects or surface formation,
– disturb wildlife e.g. by residing at bo,
– unlawfully killing, hunting, trapping or harming animals,
– remove eggs or nest,
– make an open fire other than in a place specially prepared and designated. Gas kitchens or similar may, however, be used at rest areas, car parks and campsites.
– camping with a tent for more than two days in a row without the permission of the landowner, other than at a public campsite,
– camping with motor vehicles on other places than official and prepared camp sites
– litter with sheet metal, glass, plastic, paper, waste or other,
– prevent or interfere with ongoing agriculture and forestry on roads or in the fields;
– drive a boat with a speed higher than seven knots; the ban does not apply to the central part of lake Stora Gla.
Without the permission of the county administrative board, it is forbidden to carry out scientific or other investigations.
All fishing in the area requires a fishing license and it is only allowed to fish in the lakes. All flowing waters are subject to a fishing ban.
The right of public access
This is what you get to do in Swedish nature:
Walk, bike and ride and be almost everywhere in nature. But not too close to residential buildings. If you open a gate, you must close it behind you.
Walk, bike and ride on private roads.
Tent for a few days in nature. If you want to camp for a longer period of time, you must ask the owner of the land.
Swim, go boating and go ashore, but not near residential buildings.
Pick flowers, berries and mushrooms.
Fishing with a fishing rod and casting rod along the coast and in the five largest lakes (Lake Mälaren, Lake Vänern, Lake Vättern, Hjälmaren and Storsjön in Jämtland).
You can make a small fire if you are careful. Do not fire directly on a rock, it will break. It is best to fire where there is a special place for burning. In the summer it is often forbidden to light a fire. Ask your municipality what applies. You are always responsible for your fire and that you do not damage nature or property.
In order for everyone to be able to enjoy nature and so that we do not harm animals and nature, we need to think about a few things:
You may not pass over plots, gardens, plantations or cultivated land, such as fields.
You are not allowed to drive a car, motorcycle or moped in nature.
You are also not allowed to drive on paths, park roads or on exercise tracks.
Do not fire if the weather is very dry or windy. Then the fire can spread.
You must not touch or damage trees and shrubs.
You must not take fruit, berries, vegetables or anything else that grows in gardens, plantations or in fields.
Do not leave or throw any rubbish. Jars, glass, plastic and other debris can harm animals and people.
You must not hunt, disturb or injure animals.
It is also forbidden to take bird eggs or touch the animals’ nests or young.
You may not fish without a permit in lakes or streams. You do not need a permit to fish with a fishing rod, a cast rod on the coast.
Dogs must not be loose in the wild during the period 1 March – 20 August. Then the animals have cubs. A stray dog can scare and harm the animals. It is best to always have the dog connected in nature.
Making fires in the area
- It is absolutely forbidden to light a campfire anywhere else in the area other than where indicated with a number at the windbreaks and resting-places.
- Always check that the fire and all embers are completely extinguished when you leave them.
- Never throw a lighted match or cigarette butt or empty your pipe ashes on the ground. These things can lie and smoulder for a long time before they flame up. Never throw glass bottles on the ground. Very often, the glass focuses the rays of the sun and causes a forest fire. In addition, broken glass is extremely harmful to animal life.
You can find more information about any fire ban at Infocenter or the County Administrative Board, SMHI eller or download the “Brandrisk ute” app.
The flag below is the symbol of complete fire ban. When it is raised, it means that the fire risk is very large, and it is not allowed to make fires at all.